Friday 14 February 2014

The Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #3 - Pink

It seems like ages since I posted - I guess it has been about 10 days though. During my time in Sydney I didn't do Facebook or email at all! I felt I needed some time away from cyberspace, but now comes all the catching up.
Anyways, what I am posting about here is Challenge #3 (Pink) of The Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge. I decided to make something small as time was proving to be troublesome, getting ready for my trip etc. I almost dipped out of this one but I figured something small was better than nothing at all, so here it is:
My Shockingly Elsa Hair Flower:
According to Wikipedia and their entry on shades of pink:
"Shocking Pink is bold and intense..... It takes its name from the tone of pink used in the lettering on the box of the perfume called Shocking, designed by Leonor Fini for the Surrealist fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli in 1937. This in turn was inspired by the Tete de Belier (Ram's Head), a 17.27ct pink diamond from Cartier owned by the heiress Daisy Fellowes, who was one of Schiaparelli's best clients."
My pattern was based on examples and other patterns that I saw on the internet, particularly a design by Lorine Mason.
Working out the pattern and deciding how I wanted the pieces to go together was probably the most time consuming part of the project.
The centre of the flower could've been done more authentically. I used a bit of polyester wadding to fill out the centre bit, but there's heaps of other things I could've used that would've been more in keeping with the 1930s.
I handsewed the whole project once again - I find handsewing strangely hypnotic and relaxing and usually choose to handsew where I can.
For the backing I used a couple of small pieces of felt, cut in roughly an oval shape and pinked. The first layer was sewn on to the back of the flower to hold the whole thing together. I sewed the second layer onto the first layer and sewed a bobby pin on this one. Next time I would use an alligator clip as it would make it much easier to wrangle when attaching it to my head than the bobby pin proved to be.
Et voila (again):
Wrapping Up: 
The Challenge: PINK
Name: Shockingly Elsa Hair Flower
Fabric: Cotton and felt
Pattern: Drafted myself after looking at examples
Year: 1937
Notions: Thread, polyester wadding
Historical accuracy: Shocking Pink first made its appearance in 1937. Cotton was a fabric used. Polyester wadding - a big no.
Hours to complete: This only took a few hours - the most time consuming part being drawing up the pattern and deciding how to put the bits together.
First worn: Tranny Bingo at the Coopers Hotel, Newtown (NSW) 10th Feb 2014 - (a post coming up about that. We had lots of fun)
Cost - $0. I already had everything I used in my stash.

Well that's about it folks. I'll be posting through the week about my time in Sydney.
Till then, take care, have fun,
Robyn x

No comments:

Post a Comment