Friday 28 March 2014

Current Hand Sewing Project: Ex-Hire Dress Refashion.

Through the week on one of our frequent charity shop expeditions while keeping an eye out for a petticoat for me and a lacy top (also for me) Mum had an excellent find - a dress which had obviously been a hire bridesmaid's dress. Going by the style it looks to be late 70s/early 80s. It's magnolia colour satin and lace, and it was destined to become a petticoat and lacy top (admittedly it will need much alteration to fit me :/). I didn't think to take a picture of it before I cut it in half I'm afraid, but:
The top part of the dress which, when made bigger will be my new Cruisin' Down The River dance top.

The lace of the dress was in excellent condition, but the satin is a bit crinkly and misshapen I guess due to many cleanings and alterations, but it has a kind of fragile charm. I have chosen to hand sew mainly because of this.
So far, I have made the petticoat:
The casing for the petticoat. I tried to make my stitching as neat and even as I could.
The finished petticoat. I'm not really game enough to iron this. It's going to be worn next week under this:

I made these to wear too.
Rhiannon and I have made matching skirts for this Rock 'n' Roll & Alternative Market (6th April), except  her liquorice allsorts panels have a pink background. She has also had made black t shirts with "Sukielektro - Hand Made Makeup" on the front in hot pink. Yay us!!!
We have a couple new products to take along. Here's the labels for our new Stardust Body Powder:

There are two fragrances, Wahini and Lorelei, and contain cosmetic grade glitter to give a lovely "starglow".

Anyway I am off now to do some research on how to make the lacy top substantially bigger than it currently is. Wish me luck!

Till next time,
Robyn x

No comments:

Post a Comment