Sunday 30 March 2014

HSF Challenge #7: Tops & Toes

The Historical Sew Fortnightly 2014 thedreamstress.com

I have to admit I haven't been able to keep up with these challenges. I'm gonna do my best to keep up and "get back into it".
This challenge for me is a fascinator I made earlier this year. It is "inspired by" rather than completely accurate, but here goes:
In Edwardian times fascinators were very decorative. Fashionable ladies sometimes had stuffed birds - male hummingbirds for those who could afford it, mounted on their hats. They used feathers, artificial flowers, waxed satin ribbons and tulle as embellishments.
My fascinator doesn't have a real stuffed hummingbird of course, but it is a hummingbird figurine. It is also decorated with feathers and tulle so it does tick a few boxes. I made the base from black felt and millinery wire sewn between the two layers to keep the round shape and I have sewn a comb onto the bottom. I had to glue the "hummingbird" on there was nothing to anchor on to sew it, but I did sew the feathers on.
This was another handmade project:



So, onto the nuts and bolts:
The Challenge: #7 Tops & Toes
Fabric: Felt and Tulle
Pattern: My own
Year: Edwardian Era
Notions: Thread, millinery wire, feathers, hummingbird figurine, comb, glue
Historical Accuracy: Hummingbird, tulle and feathers were all used on hats and fascinators during this period. My design is a lot more understated than many Edwardian designs, but I've tried to create an Edwardian feel
Hours to complete: Once again, not sure. I do much of my hand sewing in front of the telly and forget to take note of how long I spend
First worn: This was originally made for Etsy but I decided to keep it. I haven't worn it in public yet but I have a feeling that it will end up as part of a dance costume before too long!
Total cost: The little hummingbird cost around $5.00, but everything else I already had.

That's all for now, 
Till next time
Robyn x

No comments:

Post a Comment