Wednesday 2 April 2014

All Packed And Ready To Go

I'm going to Sydney on Friday for a week. This time I'm flying down. I usually get the train which takes about 6 hours. The flight is only one hour and ten minutes. I couldn't afford to do this everytime I go down, since I do this every two months, to coincide with the Rock 'n' Roll Markets and I usually stay down for a week to catch up with my girls, but this time I'm treating myself!
My Fluff Mermaid Luggage Tag. Fluff have the cutest stuff!
I'm getting packing down to a fine art. I'm getting to know what I'm likely to use and what I'm not. I used to bring extra stuff "just in case", but these days I'm quite ruthless. I'm even able to keep my makeup bag to a reasonable size by deciding on a colour scheme for the week (this time it's smoky but subtle grey eyeshadow, with liner, mascara and lashes of course, and two shades of red lipstick). 
Something I always need, wherever I go is 1. Something to read. and 2. Something to make. This is one area that used to get out of hand. I used to take a choice of books, and whatever projects I was currently working on. This time I've got that under control too. My something to read arrived in the mail today:
Wartime Housewife by Biff Raven-Hill.
I've had a little peak and can't wait to get into it!
With my something to make I decided on something that was small in size that I could easily pick up and put down. When I make something, as pattern weights I usually use anything I can find (such as the Sally Hansen Hard As Nails bottle you'll see in the photos). I decided to make myself some pattern weights. I'm not sure what I will fill them with yet, probably lentils? But I'll do that after I get back. I had a fat quarter roll of fabric I bought ages ago because I liked the design. I decided to use that. I cut out 3"x3" squares. I'm not sure how many I have, but I used up the whole thing. I've packed it with a small pair of scissors, some thread and a little container with some pins and needles and I'm ready to go.
Note the Hard As Nails pattern weight.
My fat quarter's worth of squares.
Just a bit of trivia... before she was married my Mum was a milliner(ess?). She worked for a family business in Sydney. The company was Leutenegger. It looks like they are still in business after all these years!
When I come back I have quite a bit of sewing to do. My Sew For Victory blouse, my new Cruisin' Down The River blouse and matching hat for a start. I'll be able to use my new pattern weights. Yay!

Till next time,
Robyn x




No comments:

Post a Comment