Tuesday 14 October 2014

Me Again!

Hi!
It's been awhile huh? A lot has happened both good and bad since I last wrote. Best intentions and all... I have moved - not far away but living a very different lifestyle now. Pretty much EVERYTHING in my life has changed. I'll talk about some of those things bit by bit over the next posts.
This week I decided to bring back into my life a few of the things that I enjoyed doing "before" that I haven't kept up. Blogging is one of those things, hence the reanimation of this little blog. Another is sewing.
I started the year so full of ideas of what I was going to make, what challenges I was going to join. It all started well... Anyway, I will be taking part in the last few challenges of the HSF 2014 challenge.
I am (re)starting with Challenge #20 - Alternative Universe. I have chosen to make something that relates to a character Mara from a trilogy known as The Empire Series by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts. I read the series some years back. It is a kind of spinoff from the Magician series by Raymond Feist and is set in Kelewan, a place with a green sky. Weapons are made from hardened leather as metal is very scarce. Although we are definitely talking alternative universe, the authors drew on both Japanese and Hawaiian culture when shaping Kelewan. Loose, short, flimsy robes are worn, so I am choosing to make a kimono jacket. It will be based on a tutorial I found on www.elleapparelblog.com. Rather than hemming around the edges I am planning on making a bias binding from my fabric and using that. The fabric is not really "Kelewan-ese", but it does give a kitschy nod to Hawaii and will be useful and fun to wear in the summer. Here is the fabric:
It is rayon and I believe I may have shown this fabric before.
At this point I am planning on handsewing as much as possible, just because I love handsewing, but we'll see how that pans out in reality.
I'll do a few posts during construction I would like to give you some background on the books I am using as inspiration.
On a different note I went for a rehearsal this afternoon at a place I will be singing at on Saturday evening. I missed the turn and found myself heading up to North Brother Mountain. Because the road was narrow, windy and very steep, with a precarious drop on one side I wasn't able to turn back till I got to the top! The view however was worth the inconvenience:
It looks like a painting doesn't it? But it's real. When I left my rehearsal I had to wait for these guys to cross the road before I could drive off:
You can't quite see here, but one was a little bigger than the other and had a little mohawk. Very cute.

Till next time,
Robyn x



No comments:

Post a Comment